Friday, September 26, 2008

Day 18: 9/23/08 Tuesday - ESSELUNGA!

This morning I started out by doing a second round of dishes from last night’s dinner. Since we only have a small dish rack (no dishwasher), and I didn’t feel like hand drying everything, I decided to let it go until the morning – which is very unlike me. I HATE waking up to dishes in the sink.

Later that morning, my student, James, came over to use my mac, which has Ilustrator CS3. His PC only has CS2, so he couldn’t finish his project. I finally changed my voicemail at home through the internet – apparently people keep calling and leaving messages on my home phone, which I forgot to change the message on. So hopefully now people will know! Then we ate a nice lunch of leftovers from last nights feast, and I tried to clean up a little bit more before I headed over to SACI.

I arrived at SACI around 2pm, and ran into the Dean, David, who was walking outside – he brought me along to try to find an instructor to introduce me to. This method seems to be the best way of getting to know everyone. The first week I had left a letter in everyone’s mailbox at school, then yesterday I sent an email to the faculty listserve. But no one had responded yet. So, David has been introducing me in person to people, which hopefully will help. However, I definitely realize that I will need to do a lot of legwork to get the appointments I need.

Let me back up! For those of you who don’t know, I’m here in Florence as an Artist-in-Residence at SACI, and will also be directing their new promotional video. So, that involves meeting all of the faculty and scheduling time in each class to document. So far, it’s been rather slow going, partially because I’ve been so busy just trying to get my household up and running, but also because people here are not in fretta like in the states. People move at a normal pace (maybe even a bit slow).

Anyway, so I met with several teachers and looked through the video equipment to see if there was a lighter tripod – which there wasn’t, so I need to buy one. I set up a meeting for tomorrow with the Art History TA, Michelle, and then found out that there was a painting that was being examined in the Conservation room, so I grabbed a camera and shot about 5 minutes of the piece being shot. It is pretty fascinating because the do a process of scans in UV, Ultra-red, and normal lighting to examine the surface and below the paint. They also do archeological conservation, so I had an interesting discussion about that with the teacher.

Lucio arrived with Felicia and Isabella, so I nursed Isabella, then realized it was 5:50 – Essalunga was arriving between 6-8pm to deliver our groceries! I was so excited to see how much food 200 euros would be (see photo!). While we were waiting, I tried out the new tirralatte (literally pull milk) so that I wouldn’t be so tied down to Isabella. It has made working more difficult. I got the Avent Isis model, which has great reviews, and sure enough it worked fantastically! I was surprised that a hand pump would be so great – I’m used to my giant Medela pump. Now we just have to see if she’ll take the bottle tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

Around 7:30pm, our buzzer rang, and the delivery man started hauling up bag after bag of groceries – blue bags for the freezer/fridge, and yellow bags for non-perishables. He must have gone up and down 5 times, poor guy! Then he came in, I offered him a glass of water, he pulled out this little briefcase and had a credit card machine in there, swiped our card, and off he went! He left so fast we didn’t even get to tip him! But, that’s another thing about Italy… you really don’t tip. I mean of course you can leave a little extra is you get awesome service, but generally no one expects it.

So we ate some leftovers again – to make room in the fridge. Then Lucio and I went through the receipt and checked everything off and put away all the cold items. Then Isabella wanted to go to bed, so around 8:45 I got her into bed… and fell asleep myself! Felicia also went to bed, and Lucio fell asleep after reading to her, so we went to bed unexpectedly. But clearly we needed it!

2 comments:

James Martin said...

ahhhh!! so awesome.. you guys got a ton of stuff!

next time you order, i may have to stock up on pasta sauce and juice! :D

Heather said...

yeah, there were definitely some GOOD DEALS... unfortunately we'll have to do another order next week, so I'll let you know when and you can order with us!