Thursday, September 25, 2008

DAY 12: September 17

Today Felicia went off to school without her grembiule (bad), but her backpack did mysteriously reappear today! That was good news – and with everything still inside, so Lucio was right – probably a confused nonna! I, on the other hand, went off to SACI for most of the day. Went from 10:30-12:30, came home for lunch, nursed Isabella, and went back from about 2:30-5:30. I prepared a bunch of handouts for the meeting on Friday with the video team. I had to get everyone’s schedule into one master schedule so that we can determine who is available to shoot what. Nearly every time I’m working, Lucio calls me to come feed Isabella, so thankfully we are really close to SACI. It only takes about 7-8 minutes to get home. However, thus far it means that I can only work in 2-4 hour chunks, until I get a pump and we start Isabella on the bottle and some rice cereal. Here, by the way, they start kids eating homogenized meat REALLY early! I’ll have to take a photo of the shelves of baby food that are so funny!

After I nursed Isabella at 5:30, I decided I wanted to take her out for a little walk and give Lucio a break. I put her into her marsupio (I LOVE that word – like a kangaroo, marsupial!) and we went off for a little adventure to get bread, just mamma and bimba! She loves going out in that, because she can see EVERYTHING! Any time she gets a little fussy, I can just throw her in that and she is as content as can be! We went over to a good panificio (bread store) called Il Forno (the oven) over on Via di Ginori, and I got some great schiacciata (pronounced "ski-ah-chaat-ta"). We are obsessed with this bread, which I gotta stop doing or I’ll never lose any weight here. It is like foccacia bread, but brushed with olive oil and salt, really soft and delicious. We hate typical Tuscan bread because it has no salt, so we always have to ask what type of pane salato they have. We wandered a bit forward, and found the best 1Euro store yet. They are EVERYWHERE in Florence, just like in the states. (Unfortunately for Americans, it’s not a dollar store, but rather a $1.50+ store with our bad exchange rate – thanks to our pathetic US economy). But there are still great deals! This store was REALLY big and had some high quality stuff. I got Felicia three little rubber boats and a watering can for the tub so she can play a bit. I also got some handsoap and some Kinder chocolate for Lucio – he’s obsessed with it!

When I got home, Lucio was making dinner, then I played with Felicia for a little while – doing the same puzzle (Dora the Explorer) that we brought from home. It is so funny because she has been obsessed with it. She says, “mamma, I need help with this puzzle”, but she has done it by herself probably 100 times! So instead we read some Curious George books, which I brought from the states.

After dinner, we got the kids to bed, and I finally was able to "talk" to someone in the states! I got on iChat/AIM and video chatted with my nephew, Russell. If any of you one to chat, add me as your buddy – elliottfamularo! Just remember we're 6 hours ahead! The video quality was not great, but I hope I can talk more with friends and family. I have been rocking between really loving being here and the experience and really missing family and friends, wondering why I decided to come here. That is typical – I even remember doing that 14 years ago when I was a junior studying abroad. We miss you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying reading your blog! Between you and James it feels like I'm getting my Italy fix even though I haven't been there. LOL ...keep up the great blogging. I've started a blog too, but I'm not great at updating it at all! http://amyfidler.wordpress.com/