Thursday, September 25, 2008

DAY 11: Martedi, 16 Settembre

Started off the day with… you guessed it, more laundry – whites this time. Lucio took Felicia to school, and mysteriously, when he picked her up, her Disney Princess backpack was gone. Someone had taken it out of her little closet. But, Lucio is convinced that some nonna picked up their grandchild and mistakenly took Felicia’s, because there was one still in there. Interestingly enough, she shares her closet with two boys, so I don’t quite get it – how and why a boy would want a fuscia pink backpack with princesses on it (or for that matter how a grandma could mistake it for her grandson’s), but that’s Italia! It doesn’t matter how I dress Isabella – all in a pink dress, they still ask if it’s a boy or a girl. At least they don’t make the pink/blue assumptions like in the states… maybe, a bit less stereotypes?



Anyway we’ll see about the backpack tomorrow. Hope it appears. After Lucio picked up Felicia from her half day of school at 12, we ate lunch then went out on a passeggiata, because Felicia was bored. We had to get some photos of Felicia, so we went to the Piazza della Republica where there is a machine for 3 euros. Since it was next to the giostra, we had to let Felicia ride! Felicia gave the lady one gettone, and we got on the carousel. The lady started yelling at me that we’d need two, but I told her that her collega told me that I didn’t need one because I had to hold on to her while she rode since she was only three. She unhappily gave in to my request (especially when I added that I wouldn’t have purchased 20 rides if I knew I’d have to pay too!). Then Lucio rode with her once more, since it only goes around like 3 times – honestly the SHORTEST carousel ride ever, unlike the Henry Ford Museum which is so fast and long that I feel sick after every ride! You can see I finally took some photos of the girls in front of the Duomo – just so we can prove we are actually here! HAhaHA!

After the walk, Felicia was really tired so we headed home. But, we met the lady, Angela, who owns the Trattoria San Zanobi across the street from our house. Her daughter cooks (I forget her name) in the restaurant, and her granddaughter works for GE and moved to Wisconsin a year ago. She has a 3-year-old Cecilia and a new born. They showed us their pictures – Felicia reminded them of her, because she was jumping around like a crazy person. Ironically, while we were there, they called from the states. I asked, “I orrechi vi stanno fisciando?” (Are your ears ringing?), since they called at the same moment that Angela was telling us all about it. Felicia ran around the restaurant like a lunatic for a while and sang some songs to entertain them, then we headed home. For dinner we ate the most AWESOME SAUSAGE that we got at the Mercato Centrale…..YUMMMMMM!

No comments: