Friday, September 26, 2008

Day 13: 9/18/08 Our First Ludoteca!!

This morning Isabella was a bit fussy, but after an hour, I finally got her to sleep, and then I took a nice hot bath! That was the first time in a long time – I felt I needed a bit of R&R! I also did some laundry, then ran over to the Mercato Centrale to buy some more awesome sausage, some fresh pasta (cheaper on Tuesdays and Thursdays) and some bread. Lucio came back from Felicia’s Scuola Materna and made lunch, but poor Felicia was so tired that she fell asleep before lunch! So we ate, then after she woke up she ate her lunch and we decided to go off and find the Ludoteca that SACI’s photo teacher, Romeo, had recommended.

It was pretty close in the Piazza Santissima Annunziata, the next piazza over from San Marco where we get the bus. We arrived about 30 minutes before it opened, so we called Mamma and Giovanna (Lucio’s sister) to see how they were doing and sat on the steps. Felicia found a little friend to play with – running around in front of the museum. I was nursing Isabella on the steps in front of the museum and turned around to see what Felicia was doing, and started laughing hysterically at the irony of my breastfeeding in front of a big detail of a painting of a woman breastfeeding that was an advertisement for the museum!

We finally went into the Ludoteca, which is an indoor playroom. We met a woman with three kids who moved here in 2002 from Baltimore. She was born in Berkeley and married an Italian. Felicia had a great time and didn’t want to leave, but I finally was able to bribe her with a gelato. She chose fragola (strawberry) – she’s finally starting to like gelato, which I’m thrilled about!

We all then went home and ate dinner, then Isabella and I went off to an opening of a very interesting Video Art Exhibition in the Palazzo Strozzi. The design of the space is really interesting. It was the basement of the building with a lot of strange rooms. Some of the pieces were shown in small rooms – 1 to 4 per room – with or without headphones. All were on flat-screen monitors. And in the main room there were a bunch of contemporary black, metal chairs that were placed in all different directions on the floor, and the monitors were mounted in different ways on the chairs. You had to climb between the chairs to view the pieces. It was a pretty innovative layout. I didn’t get to see all the work, so I’ll have to go back and do so. Everyone there (and everyone else here) LOVES Isabella – they always ask her name, and when we say “Isabella”, they say, “ma da vero – é veramente Bellissima!” (because her name means beautiful in Italian). She wasn’t the only baby there either! It’s nice that children really are welcome almost everywhere here!

No comments: